This sweet treat uses Golden Delicious apples (which are on sale right now for $0.99/pound), dates and walnuts as its main components. It's gluten-free and free of processed sugars. Dates are a great source of natural sugar for those looking to remove processed sugars from their diet.
To make this recipe you will need:
- 9 a Golden Delicious apples, cored
- juice from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond meal or flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 4 dried dates, pitted and chopped into small pieces
- pinch of fine sea salt, ground cinnamon and ground ginger
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the center. Core apples and squeeze a little lemon juice into each one. Melt coconut oil in a small pan. Stir in almond meal, walnuts, dates, salt, cinnamon, ginger and coconut milk. Heat for a few minutes over medium heat. Carefully stuff apples with the mixture. Place apples in muffin pans. Cover loosely with foil. Bake for about 45 min or until apples have softened and split.