While cranberry sauce that holds its shape long after you've removed it from the can is whimsical, we know you're craving something better. So kick that cranberry sauce can to the curb and make our kitchen's Cranberry Ginger Sauce with Orange. It still has the sweetness and bitterness you want from this Thanksgiving staple, but it's enhanced with spicy ginger and tart oranges. If you're looking for an even more souped up version, try adding in a bag of frozen raspberries as well. Spread this on some bread for leftover turkey sandwiches and extend those fuzzy holiday feelings long after your nutty family has left town.
To make this sauce you will need:
- 2 packages of cranberries, frozen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high, simmer the ginger in the orange juice until thickened.
- Add cranberries, brown sugar, water and orange zest and bring to a boil and cranberries begin to pop.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened. Allow to cool before serving.